The Best Chicken Souvlaki w/ BBQ Homemade Naan


I make this meal at least once a month in barbecue season. I first came across it on Americas Test Kitchen. I have adapted it on occasion but the original recipe is the best. This is the plate I made my mother in law, she resists eating protein, so I loaded her plate with four big chunks. My plate is below. I made BBQ Naan ( heavenly grilled bread ) with this meal again. Actually, my daughter made the Naan, I just cooked it.


When it comes off the BBQ it looks like this. Then I use my rubber gloves ( the thick yellow ones like you use to do the dishes) and remove all the food from the skewers and put it all in a bowl so I can cover it with the remaining marinade. Note the Naan on top? See? Half is gone. I usually loose one and a half to hungry family members who love this bread. Frankly, it is exactly like it came out of a tandoori oven.

Here is the link to its recipe: http://cookinmumsculinaryadventures.blogspot.ca/2017/05/bbq-bread-endless-possibilities.html


Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce:

3 Chicken Breasts one inch cubed
1-gallon water for brine
1 tablespoon salt for brine
Cut chicken into cubes and place in brine in fridge for 30 minutes

Marinade for Chicken:

1/3 cup Olive Oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh Parsley
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
1 teaspoon Honey
1 teaspoon dried Oregano
1 teaspoon Pepper

Reserve 1/4 cup for after the Chicken has been cooked on the BBQ
2 Green Peppers and 1 large Red Onion cut into chunks

Tzatziki Sauce:

3/4 cup Greek Yogurt- I have used cream and sour cream combined
1/2 cup chopped Cucumber - remove seeds - I grate it in ( done and done no fuss no muss )
1 clove minced Garlic - I use three
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice- I juice half a lemon
3 tablespoons Chopped mint - I did not have fresh just a small amount dehydrated
1 tablespoon Parsley I used a half a fresh bunch minced fine
1/4 teaspoon salt

Method:

Brine Chicken 30 minutes in the fridge. After the brine, dry the chicken completely. Add chicken to marinate. Place on a skewer. Onion and peppers on each end of the skewer. I do separate skewers now.

BBQ till 165 degrees internally.

Remove the vegetables and chicken chunks, add the remaining 1/4 cup marinade. Place on a warmed pita with the tzatziki sauce.

Enjoy!

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts