Grilled Chicken w/ Baked Potatoes & KFC-Style Coleslaw



Half a plate means half the calories. This is my dinner from last night. Note it is half a plate of food, yet I had everything my family did. I grilled three chicken breasts that I sliced into three pieces each. I feed four adults with three breasts that way. I baked three potatoes and shared half with my mother in law. I had half of a fresh homemade bun that my daughter baked that afternoon. I made some coleslaw and I loved it so I will share the recipe below. I like a salad on my plate so I added some blueberries and cream cheese I made today as well. Hubbies plate looked like this:


I am pretty thrifty. I save points at my grocery store so I can purchase protein on sale. I managed to save $70 worth of points so I was ready when chicken breasts went on sale in that store. I feed four adults now that my mother in law is widowed. I purchase beef once a year from a local farmer I have been blessed to find. We do not eat a lot of pork, but when we do I usually buy it from Costco. I buy eggs from my farm friend, Anita, and I will buy whole chickens from her as well. Support local business is my mantra whenever possible. Now on to the coleslaw recipe.

Ingredients as I made it:

1/4 - 1/2 a head of cabbage shredded- I used I little more than a quarter head.
2 carrots shredded
2-3 tablespoons minced red onion
1/2 cup yogurt - could use sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cream also could be buttermilk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon sugar or to taste

Method:

Shred the cabbage and carrots in a food processor with the shredding blade. Mince the onion to small dice. Combine and add the rest of the ingredients. Taste to if you like it. Chill for a few hours. 

My Husband loved this version of the coleslaw. I am thinking pulled pork in the near future with this coleslaw would be delicious.

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts