Pineapple-Coconut Mickey Mouse Cake


I sent darling hubby to the store for a nice ripe pineapple, preferably already cored and peeled. He returned with a $7.00 ( yes, $7.00! ) box of pineapple slices. I tasted them and ...yuck, not sweet. I smiled and thanked him for bringing me what I asked for and then I decided to puree it into small chunks, add sugar, and make a compote.


The plan had been to make Pineapple Dole Whip in my ice cream maker. Now it would become something else. This mixture once cooked down make one and a half pint of cooked pineapple.

My friend Madelaine Harris once told me of her quick applesauce cake. I made notes and decided to try to make pineapple cake instead. I do not have any pre-packaged cake mixes so I looked one up, and use the recipe to make this cake. In essence, this is three recipes in one. Apple cake, a pre-made dry cake mix, and a pineapple cake. Enjoy.

Applesauce cake - Madeline Harris:

The kids love it warm with cinnamon and a tad brown sugar.   I make it with no sweeteners.  For a quickie cake use 1 cake mix, 1-pint apple sauce and 2-3 eggs ( depends on how the chickens feel) mix until everything is moist.  You can bake at this point but I always add nuts, chopped fruit, carrots, whatever. 350 degrees and about 30-35 minutes.  Works same with 4-5 bananas, no liquid or oil is added.

Apple sauce mixed with crushed pineapple add a bit of flour or a thickener, sweetener if you wish and a bit of cinnamon and you have a great filling for a slab/sheet pie.

One Cake Mix recipe: Dry Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt

 Cake Mix Wet ingredients:  Add Later - look lower for my adaptations
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/8 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs

Mum's Pineapple cake: I used one pint crushed cooked pineapple, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, a little pineapple rum, 2 eggs stirred,  one cup milk--No oil-- & 1/4 cup butter. I then put coconut in the cream cheese icing. Some lemon was grated for the top.

I made a small cake and 6 big muffins. Hence the Mickey Mouse pattern. Which was my daughter's great idea. 

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts