'Tis Soup Season - Home Made French Onion Soup


'Tis the season for soup. I made a non-traditional version of onion soup because I did not want to broil the top of the bowl a second time. This meal was a lunch for us so I made and added nice croutons with melted cheese on top. I had made my own beef broth earlier, using my pressure cooker and beef marrow bones. Next step was to add the sliced onions and begin the process of making the soup.


This is about 2 cups of finely sliced onions. I added some ghee and oil to the pot first, then added the onion along with some thyme and bay leaves. I took my time caramelizing the onions:


It took about 30 minutes to get the onions brown but not burned.


I deglazed the pot with a splash of white wine, then added 4 cups of broth and continued simmering it down.


This is a classic soup. It is simple, easy, and delicious.

Ingredients:

2 Cups thinly sliced onions
1 teaspoon dried onion soup herbs - optional - I make my own
4 Cups beef broth or any broth you have
2 small bay leaves
One sprig thyme could also be dried
Salt and pepper to taste
White wine to deglaze
Bread croutons and shredded cheese for the topping

Method:

Add oil to the pot. Fry the onion slices slowly until brown and caramelized. Add the bay leaves, thyme, and onion soup herbs (which is optional). Include the salt and pepper to taste. When the onions are brown, add a splash of white wine--while the pot is off the heat and far from a flame. Place the pot back on the heat, add the broth, and let simmer for 30-40 minutes. See the picture above.

Add croutons to a soup bowl, pour in the soup, and finally drop in the cheese. Time to serve!


~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts