Culinary College & Future Adventures



It is no secret I grew up poor. It shaped who I am and how I think. It affects how and why I cook a certain way and why I did not know how to cook expensive cuts of beef until I finally went to culinary college, where an executive chef named Chef Gaskin taught me how. I never knew food could taste so good until I tasted Chef's lesson-meals. I signed up for the course on my 61st birthday, it was my present for myself. It took a year and a half to pay for that education and I don't regret one dime of it.


Why am I reflecting on that today? Well, if you take the time to read about my culinary adventures, I feel you need to know a bit more about me. Reading or following someone on social media is a very personal thing. It is one-on-one, something most writers forget. Oh, and I am not a writer. I am also not a photographer but every picture I post is my own photograph.


I have and had no plans to work in the culinary profession because I am too old now to go and work in such a demanding field. It is for the young to go through the climbing of career ladders. I get dizzy when I get up too fast, forget ladders. I just wanted to learn. Let me tell you, it was hard! No quarter was given. Thank you, Chef.


It is never too late to learn, regardless of age. So what is next, you say? Well, I am glad you asked. When I was in school, Chef taught one class I really never thought much about. What was it?


Chef Gaskin is also a certified Sommelier. The class in question was about beer and wine. I have decided to make wine and beer. That is actually funny. Why? Because my husband does not drink and neither does my daughter. Only Mum has an occasional sip. This is going to be fun. I will keep you updated on this upcoming adventure!

~ Hugs from Mum


Comments

Popular Posts