Grilled Sirloin Steak, Caramelized Onions with Chimichurri sauce, & Avocados


I have not been making a lot of BBQ Beef in past because it is a very expensive commodity, not something I can afford to experiment with when I am cooking dinner for my family. In comes culinary college and lessons on steak. Confidence makes such a big difference.

I use to only invest in cheaper cuts of beef for stews and roasts. In this way, I knew I could stretch the beef and provide many more meals for my family than say one tenderloin of beef ( 140.00 ) would garner. However last week, I purchased two Beef Sirloin Roasts from Costo ( 80.00 for both ) and butchered them into stew and steak portions. I was shaking my head when I was working on them thinking that it was an expensive experiment, but I have to step out of my frugal mindset and stretch beyond my own comfort. I now have the confidence from school to try.

So guess what! Yesterday I took out the first three steaks. I marinaded them in a little garlic and olive oil in a ziplock in the fridge for the afternoon. Before grilling, I dried off the bulk of the liquid so the steak was dry. I lightly salted and peppered the steak. Cooking it on a good hot grill for 5 minutes one side and 3 minutes the other. I take my steaks to 160* internal because hubby won't eat pink ( try and cook beef to a  non-pink temperature and not make shoe leather, it is like a magic trick, trust me, I can't eat tough meat and neither can my mother in law so there is a very fine line to arrive at with steak ).

After anxiously grilling the steaks and testing with my finger press like Chef Kevin taught, I pulled the meat and rested it, it was at 158*. After 8 minutes ( yes I put on a timer ** I know, sheepish grin **) I cut a strip from my steak, it was like I heard angels sing.

I decided to deconstruct the steaks into manageable strips for each person. I have a wonderful Chefs knife and it just makes the presentation and eating so much easier. I remember this way of presenting from a Japanese restaurant I frequented in my youth. The reconstructed the steak after cutting it. So much easier to eat. I also caramelized 2 whole onions, they were like the jewel crown on a king's head. Just lovely. Again, I know we could not afford to buy this at a restaurant, and my satisfaction over investing in my education grows.

I made some chimichurri as a side sauce. I had never had this before and was aghast at the wonder of it. I did adapt the recipe since I did not have all the ingredients mentioned in the recipe I was following. Below will be my recipe.


1 bunch of Cilantro
1/2 an avocado - next time I will add a whole to the processor
( I also cubed 2 whole avocados and added them to the plate and poured the sauce over them  )
1 garlic clove - sliced thin ( strong taste be careful to use the amount you'd favor  )
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 a teaspoon salt and pepper
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon vinegar ( plain white ) - next time I'll use wine vinegar
Pinch of red pepper flakes
It called for some onion - I will add a tablespoon next time
It called for equal parts parsley to cilantro - I will add 1/4 bunch next time

Place it all in a food processor and mix until smooth. Taste before removing it. We loved it. It tasted very much like the Indian green chutney my husband loves. That chutney has mint in it as well. I will be making this again.

I hope you are well and life is giving you all the joy you deserve.

~ Mum


Comments

Popular Posts