BBQ Chicken Skewers w/ Onion & Green Peppers


Every Sunday I host family dinner. I have had my husband's parents and his uncle come every week for years now. We are down by one since losing Papa, but I am insistent we continue the tradition as long as we can.

We never know when we will lose an elder. I have lost all mine and I am now the elder, or " front of the line" as my dear friend Wendy would say. I don't mind really, that's life and I am happy to have lived mine. I used it up, you might say. I never wasted an opportunity for fear of failure. I had children both when I was young and old, I raced cars in my youth, I taught night school in college, I traveled all over the world, I taught martial arts, and I went back to college in my 60's. I am having a good run.  It has never been easy, to be honest, but I think now that I made it past my 50's I am just living life to enjoy the seasons as they arrive. I look at my last decades ( if I am lucky )  of life in terms of seasons. It is finally summer and I am squeezing every delicious ounce of sunshine and backyard and garden and BBQ out of every day. I am also canning again. I love saving the seasons delicious produce. Like this grape jam:


Anyway, I made chicken cubes on skewers yesterday. I marinaded the four chicken breasts in a salt water brine for about an hour before drying them off and cubing them for the skewers. This makes the chicken moist and soft. I like using two skewers so the cubes stay together better. I made a marinade and drenched the cubes in it before threading them. I reserve a 1/4 cup before hand to drizzle over the final cooked dish. Do not use the dredge you use on the raw chicken. I also make several skewers of red onion and green peppers separately and BBQ them to be combined on the final plate with the chicken as in the top photo. I find it easier to control the cooking process of the chicken if the skewer is all chicken, it is also easier to check the temperature. Cook until it is 165*.  I use a marinade I tried from ATK. here it is:

1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon pepper

Reserve 1/4 cup for after the chicken has been cooked to drizzle on the final plate.

I like this meal with a mayo-BBQ sauce on the side, but a nice Tzatziki sauce is traditional. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think.

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts