My Mother's Quick Cucumber Pickle

My mom used to make a quick cucumber pickle. I love it on a sandwich or on the side of a heavy meat meal. It is particularly good with liver pate. It is so fresh and crunchie. It is really good on a cream cheese bagel. The best part is it only takes a second to make.

Ingredients:

1 cucumber thinly sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup of white vinegar
1/4 cup thinly sliced onion

Method:

Chop the cucumber into thin slices. Chop the white onion into thin slices. Combine in a nice container, like the mason jar in the picture. Mason jars are east to clean and east to store. Add the sugar and vinegar in a cup and mix until the sugar dissolves. Pour over the cucumbers and onions in the jar and seal. Place in the fridge and use as you see fit. I would not keep it too long, perhaps a week. If you like it sweeter just add a little more sugar. I never measure, I taste.

Now you could add all sorts of other tasty things to change up the flavor. Perhaps some cardamom seeds, or coriander seeds. You decide.

Comments

Popular Posts