Cabbage and Wild Rice Stew




Shopping day always causes a cascade of food prep and fridge rearrangement. I always feel guilty when I see I did not use up food from the week before. I always save as much as I can. Today here is the result.

Today I found a sad half of a cabbage and three sad tomatoes in the kitchen.  These products became the inspiration for dinner. I ended up freezing a good part of it since it got away from me and became a monster meal. 

I am calling it De-constructed cabbage roll stew. I used some sausages (2) from the freezer and one pound of mince, one whole onion, and several freezer containers of last summer's tomato sauce labeled " Anita's tomatoes" :) ( my friends gifted overflow garden tomatoes )   ( gifted from my farm friends over productive "back to Eden" garden ). 

I started to make it in my slow cooker but it soon became apparent there was not enough room. I also used two cups of wild rice and ended up baking it in the oven. I only wish you could come to my house and have some with me. I'd even make fresh bread. This meal could feed a huge crowd. It is also delicious.

Ingredients:

2 Cups Wild Rice
1/2 a cabbage sliced thin
3 whole tomatoes chopped small
1 small pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable bullion powder
1-quart jar marinara sauce with basil
1-quart homemade tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 pound hamburger browned
2 Italian sausages out of casing

1 whole fresh  onion sliced thin
1/4 fried onions ( like you use for green bean casserole ) 
2-3 cups water ( use broth if you have it, I was out )
salt and pepper to taste
Bacon fat for flavor - I used 2 tablespoons
Olive oil to help brown the onion

Method:

Brown the hamburger and the sausage. Brown the onion and add the cabbage begin to cook till it starts wilting. add back the meat. Add the remaining ingredients. Place in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 325F

I think you can add a little sugar if you like it sweeter. I think you should serve it with sour cream and crusty bread. 

I think I could have fed 10-15 people with this meal. It was all leftover produce. I good meal economical to boot. 




Comments

Popular Posts