Roasted Tomato Skins = Tomato Powder - No Waste - Quarantine 2020

I have made roasted tomatoes every year since 2014 for canning. In Fall I wait with bated breath for the half bushels to arrive at the market so I can get busy canning them up. I adore the whole process. It so happens that during this process I end up with a lot of slightly roasted and browned tomato skins. I will admit I usually toss them in the compost. This year of frugal eats however demands a less wasteful attitude. 

So far this season, I have processed 2 bushels. One bushel equates to about 50 pounds of tomatoes. Amazingly, that only equates to about 14 quarts of sauce per bushel. The amount of work is staggering for someone like me who has arthritis but I can't help myself. Until I simply can't stand or work with my hands, I will immerse myself in making this pantry staple "red jeweled tomato sauce." 

In the process, I ended up with roasted tomato skins which must be removed before canning. I collected them and drained them and dehydrated them overnight.


This is a jar of half a bushel of the skins. Be sure to NOT add anything in the roasting process to the skins--in particular oil. Dehydrating with oil on them will most likely cause them to mold quickly. You cannot dehydrate fat of any kind. 

After they are crackling dry, you can grind them into powder in either a coffee grinder or a food processor or strong blender. I have a spice and nut grinder I use to make my powders and flours. Then transfer the powder to a jar, and vacuum-seal the jar.


We will enjoy this powder in all things tomato, like pizza crusts, stews, and soups.  This pint jar is the result of a half bushel of dehydrated skins. 

Stay safe, and let me know if you have any questions.

~ Cookin Mum ~

Comments

Popular Posts