Fruitsaver Steam Canner - Is It Worth it? - Quarantine 2020


In August I acquired a Victorio waterbath multi-purpose canner. I wrote a post about it on 08 August 2020. I purchased it to replace my enamel water bath canner that was rusting. The Victorio arrived and to my surprise claimed to also be a steam canner. I would like to extoll the fact that it is a fantastic stockpot as well. I have cooked down tomato sauce in it now and there was absolutely no burning at the bottom. Trust me, that is a big deal.



I had no idea that steam canning was now approved and tested as a safe way to can high-acid foods. Basically, all things that can be water-bathed can be steam canned as well. I did my research, as should you. Never follow blindly, do your research. I checked with the National Center for Home Food Preservation and found it has now become an approved method, with some stipulations, one being you can not steam can a product beyond 45 minutes. 

I am very blessed to know several master canners and also asked for their advice. It became clear to me I had to try another model of the steam canner that was more suited to my physical limitations.

I'd like to tell you the best features of this new canner so you can also consider it before investing your hard-earned dollars. 



The cost of this canner is one of the wonderful features, it is $79.00 Canadian, and I have seen it for less South of the border. 

This canner is light. It weighs nothing. I love that. I can move it about without thought. 

It takes 2 1/2 quarts of water to fill it to the proper level. I love that. In a waterbath canner, it can take over three gallons of water!! We pay for water into the house and going out of the house. 

It heats so quickly, 20 minutes or less and your at temperature. I love that. It takes sometimes 45 minutes for the big waterbath canner to get boiling.

It holds 8 pints or 7 quarts. I love that. It is the same as any big canner. 

Once the processing time is up, you cool for 5 minutes and remove the lid. To move the jars out of the canner is one of the best parts. I love that. I can grab the jar and move it without losing my grip or standing on a stool and leaning over a huge pot of steaming water. 

The temperature regulator on the top of the lid is a fabulous guide to the proper water temperature and once the jars are in the canner and the correct boil is achieved based on your altitude, you can start the timing of the load and reduce the heat to a more manageable heat for the canner to process as long as the correct heat is maintained on the top dial.



I recommend this canner. I will be canning applesauce soon as it is the season. I am thrilled with this purchase. I am also processing tomato sauce in it again in the next few days. 

Stay home, stay safe, help where you can. Enjoy the season while it is here!

~ Cookin Mum ~

Comments

Popular Posts