Herb-Crusted Sourdough Focaccia - Helpful Hints - Quarantine 2020

It is a wonderful surprise to find out my sourdough does really well in an 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan and makes fantastic focaccia. I make sourdough several times a week. These 2020 crazy times made it a necessary and calming event in my daily life. When I am stressed, I like to spend time in the kitchen. I currently live in the kitchen. 

I was on Pinterest and saw Alexandra Kitchen's sourdough focaccia and decided I needed to try it. I love my overnight bread baked in a cast iron pot in its lovely round shape but after 7 months of making it that way, I wanted an alternative. 

I am now a convert. This version of the sourdough is easy and tasty. I used all kinds of different herbs on the top just to see what it tasted like. I must say I liked them all. Therefore, if I were you I would make the topping in accordance with what's for dinner. If its an Italian meal then Italian herbs would be great, or perhaps garlic with herb and spice. If you are having salad and need croutons, consider the herbs you are going to use. 

I think this shape of the bread makes an excellent way to slice, also an excellent way to slice and cube for croutons. This shape is far more practical. I like an 8-8 square pan versus a 9-13 pan. The 8-8 has a good rise and is nice and thick. My next loaf I may make more on the sweet side. I'll have to see. 

My hints to make this recipe's method easier:

1. Use an 8-8 pan - it makes a lovely shape and it fits exactly into a one-gallon plastic bag once it is cooled, making storage easier. 

2. Grease everything well, for the morning's second rise. The pan needs to be oiled (I use olive oil) on all sides. 

3. The second rise works better in a warm environment like the oven with the light on or a proofing cycle if you have one. Consider your dehydrator as well if you have one.

4. Cover the pan with cling film, it really makes a difference when the bread needs 2-3 hours to rise again. When you take the risen bread out of the oven be sure to remove the cling film very carefully, peel it back slowly and you will be surprised that it lets go easily and does not deflate. 

5. When you push the risen dough with your fingers, making devits in the soft dough, first dip them in flour so they don't stick in the focaccia. Ask me why I say that. 

6. Choose your herbs to match your menu for the next few meals. This morning before I baked the bread, my daughter and I discussed dinner so I could decide what made sense for the spice. 

Here is the web address for the recipe method I followed (note I did not use the recipe itself for my dough, I use three cups of flour in mine):

https://alexandracooks.com/2019/03/22/simple-sourdough-focaccia-a-beginners-guide/

Stay home, stay safe, help others when you can.

~ Cookin Mum ~

Comments

Popular Posts