Pantry Goodies - Pickled Jalapenos - Cowboy Candy

Yes, I made some jalapeno sweet pickles. No, I do not enjoy making them. It requires me to wear a mask and gloves and have a fan on in the kitchen. That being said, my husband loves them so I thought I would make a few jars--hazmat suit and all. 

I followed the recipe and instead of getting 4 pints, I managed 2 full and 1 only lightly packed. I was hoping for some pickling liquid for marinades but only got 1 pint. 

The recipe I made from the Ball Fresh Preserving site calls for 4 pounds of jalapenos and I did weigh and process 4 pounds. 

There is a 3-week wait for them to mature in the jar, but having them in the pantry for winter makes me happy.

As their website details,

"These pickled jalapenos, also known as candied jalapenos, deliver a real punch of sweet heat! Outstanding on sandwiches, nachos, in tacos and topping chili. These will become a pantry staple!"

Ingredients

  • 3 cups vinegar (ACV or white)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 6 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 2 tsp. turmeric
  • ½ tsp cayenne powder
  • 2 tsp. mustard seeds
  • 4 pounds jalapenos, sliced into ¼ inch rings

Directions

Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands. 

Combine all ingredients accept jalapenos in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. 

Add jalapenos slices, lower heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes, until jalapenos are dark green and have begun to absorb some of the brine. 

Ladle hot jalapenos into a hot jar leaving a ½ inch headspace. Pour hot brine over jalapenos, maintaining a ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.

Process jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.


I will enjoy seeing hubby eat this on pizza, but I also will remember the hazmat needed to make them. 

~ Cookin Mum ~

Comments

  1. I have to do this one. Have lots of jalapenos in the garden. My son would love it, but he'll have to work with the actual peppers as they send my asthma for a loop. I find with a lot of recipes, it's a good idea to double the liquid recipe. In fact with most recipes I double everything, and then do another 1/2 addition to the liquid. It is so frustrating to run out of liquid. Something like this I put in 250 ml jars to reduce waste as you know how people like to open a new jar instead of looking for one already opened! haha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts