Canning Minnesota Tomato Mix - Winter Pantry - Quarantine 2020

How many jarred tomato sauces are enough for the winter pantry? Honestly, I do not know. I decided to continue to can tomatoes as long as they can be found in the market in bulk. If nothing else 2020 has shown me you can never be "pantry ready" enough. Our governing bodies are also now warning that the Fall and Winter will be even more difficult than the first wave earlier this year. 

So if you can find product and then hopefully mason jars and lids it would behoove you to keep canning and stocking your shelves. I will say that the tomatoes you find on the farm, I ordered these from my CSA farm, are not nearly as good in September as they are in August, and I will have to dispose of many of this bushel in the compost bin. They are bruised and shriveled. Any other time in history I would complain but 2020 being what it is, I will acquiesce.


Yesterday I decided to can the Minnesota tomato mix you see above. It is like stewed tomatoes but with a small amount for flavourful vegetables in the mix. It is delightful and will make lovely additions for soups, stews, and perhaps a pot of chili. This recipe can be found on the University of Minnesota Extention site. I will add the link below. Let me reiterate; only use approved tested recipes and canning methods. This recipe can be water bath canned. 

https://extension.umn.edu/preserving-and-preparing/canning-minnesota-tomato-mixture


This recipe makes 6 pints. You can double it according to the site. I steam-canned the 6 pints. Now I will need to consider what to make with the still salvageable tomatoes on the dining room table. 

I hope you are all well and keeping safe. Stay home, help where you can. 

~ Cookin Mum ~

Comments

Popular Posts