Try Something New - Haddock in Tomato-Onion Chili Sauce




I was taught this recipe by my Mother In Law. As you know, I am trying to eat fish at least three times a week and since it is a new way of eating, I am having trouble making it interesting. Let's face it, boiled fish is not very appetizing and fried fish is out of the question because of the circumference of my hips ( she smiles  ) don't get me wrong I would eat battered fried fish every meal if I could, it is so delicious. Where was I? Oh yes Mum's fish.

You will need: fish of your choice, I used haddock and I suggest a mild fish, not a fatty fish. I think a combination of fish works in this, adding some scallops would be nice as well. You will be poaching the seafood in the sauce after the sauce is made, then removing the cooked fish and making the final sauce after.

You will need:

2 tomatoes cut in chunks - you will be pureeing after
2 white onions cut into chunks
1-2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds - or more if you like the flavor
3-6 cloves whole garlic - sliced - as many as you prefer, adjust to your taste
2-4 dried red chilies - or again as many as you prefer, I use less because I can't take the heat
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying - 1-2 tablespoons
Water or broth to cover the fish for poaching- I used chicken broth I had just made


Add the onions and garlic and lightly fry till wilted and then add the tomato and the cumin. Let this become a nice mush and let the juice of the tomato come into the pan. Now add the fish on top.


Immerse it in the juice on the bottom without breaking it, and add the stock to cover.


Now poach for 5-10 minutes until the fish flakes. This allows the fish to add its flavor to the sauce. Now carefully remove the finished fish, put it on a plate, and take the sauce and place it in a food processor or blender.

 Now you will need to add, in the blender on top of the tomato sauce:

3 tablespoons flour
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

Puree the contents of the food processor and return the sauce to the cooking pot. Simmer the sauce till it thickens to your liking and add back the cooked fish to warm it through. Serve with rice or noodles.


Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts