A Great Stretch Meal - White Fish and Cauliflower Casserole in Parsley Sauce

A white parsley sauce is a mainstay of a Danish cook's kitchen. In my mind's eye, I see my mother making this for Speck Dinners ( Pork Belly sliced thick and roasted crispy ), boiled potatoes swimming in parsley sauce and--of course--white fish.

I was looking at a fillet of Haddock in the sink yesterday and wondered how was I ever going to make it interesting for myself. I used to be the one person in my little family that eats fish. Now with my mother in law staying with us, there are two people. My mother-in-law is actually almost a vegan, she eats less and less meat as she gets older. I made a roast on Sunday with garlic beans asparagus, roasted potatoes, and carrots and all she ate were the side dishes. The good thing about that is that I am forced to incorporate more vegetables into our meals.

I, on the other hand, have been forced by my diabetes to make fish two to three times a week. I won't get into my "drama queen" self about fish and sourcing it from clean reliable sources, just think of me holding my palm on my forehead trying to figure out how to get healthy fish when I am land-locked, and try to imagine me looking at real estate listing on the east coast ( smiling to herself at her craziness ) swearing at my parents for leaving Denmark and all the delicious food and produce and fish found there.

On with the story of dinner. I had some cauliflower and thought back to my Culinary College days when Chef Kevin said we should only add white vegetables to white sauces. I knew one fillet would not be ample enough for two so I thought by adding the cauliflower I could stretch it easily. I blanched three small cauliflower florets. I baked the haddock fillet for 15 minutes with only salt and pepper. I added the blanched cauliflower cut into bite-size pieces and made a milk flour roux. I added two tablespoons fresh minced parsley and some salt, butter and cream at the end to thin it out. Then I poured it over the fish and cauliflower and baked it till it bubbled up, perhaps 10 minutes. This I served with jasmine rice and a side salad with avocado tomato lettuce and some nuts. It was delicious.


Comments

Popular Posts