Snowball Cookies For Christmas - Quarantine 2020

It is the Holiday season. This year has been a terror, so let us hope next year we will be celebrating together with loved ones. Many sweets will need to be from the pantry this year since once again many of us are in lockdown. I found this recipe for snowball cookies in an issue of Taste of Home from December 2008. 

It is a simple recipe and only needs oil, oatmeal, 2 eggs, icing sugar, one cake mix, and some walnuts. 


The recipe says it can make 7 dozen but as you see, I made just over 3 dozen. You can make the balls smaller but I liked this size. 


Once they were baked for 10 minutes, the recipe said 8 minutes, this is how they looked. You let them cool slightly and then roll in icing sugar. 


The end result was a delicious soft cookie reminiscent of a donut. I am glad I don't like sweets that much but my family loves them. 

Ingredients:

1/2 cup light oil (it called for Cristco olive oil but I used canola oil)
1 1/4 cups instant oatmeal (I used regular large flake oatmeal)
1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
Confectioners' sugar

Method:

In a bowl, combine oil and oats: let stand 5 minutes. Stir in cake mix, eggs, and vanilla. Fold in nuts. Form dough into 1 inch balls, place on ungreased baking sheet 2 inches apart.

Bake 350* for 8 minutes or until set - mine took 10 minutes. Let stand for one minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Roll in confectioners' sugar while still warm. 

My daughter said they were better on the second day, especially with coffee! 

Happy Holidays! 

Stay home, stay safe, and help where you can. 

~ Cookin Mum ~

Comments

Popular Posts