Meringue For The Win - Quarantine 2020

I made eggnog the other day and though it did not turn out as I would have liked, it left me with 6 lovely egg whites. Naturally, pavlova came to mind. It has been a few years, I first became inspired to make this wonderful meringue through Nigella and her Christmas show. 

When making recipes that require egg yolks alone, I suggest you separate your yolks by hand so, if you want to, you can freeze the whites or make a pavlova. 

For the pavlova, no yolk can be in the whites, not even a trace, or the whites will not whip properly. 

I suggest you clean your mixing bowl well, and also use a vinegar solution to wipe and dry it. Any sediment in the bowl and your egg whites will not come together. 

I have had this recipe for so long I can't remember when I wrote it out. It is from Micheal Smith who is a wonderful chef in Prince Edward Island. 

Ingredients:

6 egg whites

1 1/2 cup sugar (a quarter cup per egg white) - add slowly

1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional) 

A touch of cornstarch and vinegar (I did not use but Chef Smith does)

Method:

Add the egg whites in your mixer with the whip attachment. Turn the oven on to 275*. Place parchment on a medium or large baking sheet. Begin whipping the whites. When frothy, start adding a small amount of sugar and continue adding sugar as the whites thicken. Add the cream of tartar. You should beat it until the whites have a stiff peak. Take a small amount of the meringue between your fingers, if you still feel sugar granules keep whipping. Be careful to not over whip. 

Mound the meringue onto the parchment and shape into a circle as shown above. I know you can easily use a piping bag and make different shapes as well. 

Bake for 1 hour, until lightly brown on top. I like mine a little brown, not too dark, and I like a soft middle - like a marshmallow in the center. Let it cool and then add a topping if desired; whipped cream, lemon curd, jam, whatever you like. 

I hope you enjoyed this post, and I hope you make this delicious treat. 

Stay home, stay safe, and help where you can. 

~ Cookin Mum ~

Comments

Popular Posts