Butternut Squash Cake For The Win - Quarantine 2020

We love butternut squash. It's our favorite squash to use in soups and casseroles--and now cake. 

I ordered some extra from my CSA last week and asked for big ones. I got my wish. 

It takes a strong hand to cut one safely. 

Then I roast them and freeze them in 2-cup portions for the Winter. This time I wanted to try a pumpkin cake recipe I saw in Natasha's Kitchen but using the squash. 

I decided since the dry and wet ingredients were to be prepped in separate bowls, I would use my Vitamix to combine the wet ingredients and ensure it was all smooth and cohesive. It worked like a charm. 

Then we added the wet to the dry and with some muscle power from mini-me, it came together nicely. 

I was lucky to have my sous chef arrive in the nick of time, the sink was after all full of dishes. 

I made a few changes to the original recipe, like adding vanilla and caramel extract. The flavor was much better, next time I will also add a teaspoon of salt. I used 3 teaspoons baking powder because I can not tolerate baking soda for some reason. The cake turned out amazing. I will make this again and add a nice cream cheese frosting. I think you would like this cake as well. 

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups cooked butternut squash
3 eggs
Caramel extract - to taste
Vanilla extract - to taste

Grease a 9x13 baking pan.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix up wet ingredients in a blender or combine in a separate bowl. Pour the wet into the dry, place in pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

I hope you enjoy it.

Stay home, stay safe, help where you can.

~ Cookin Mum ~

Comments

Popular Posts