Lacto Fermented Salsa Recpie


Fermented vegetables are quite the thing these days. Think, sauerkraut made at home. Yum. I discovered fermented salsa when my friend, Anita from Shalome Farms, introduced it to me. I made some a few years back in the tomato avalanche season but did not like it for some reason. 

Scroll forward a few years, and suddenly I realized I need to eat more fermented foods. I happily started receiving my CSA around that time and there were 5 vine tomatoes which I initially ignored but eventually realized needed an extended life. 

I saw a recipe and video by Farmhouse on Boone and I knew right away this was for me. It is not complicated and it is a versatile recipe. The link is below. 

I also had my interest peaked by her Water Kefir post. I find milk kefir somewhat costly because of the amount of milk required, so I have wanted to try water kefir for years. I have ordered live grains and will let you know how that goes.

The salsa recipe ends up making just short of a quart of deliciousness. It depends on the size of your tomatoes. 


Ingredients:

. 5 small tomatoes chopped in cubes
. 1 red bell pepper chopped in cubes
. 1/2 a white onion chopped the same size as the tomatoes
.  Juice of 1/2 a lemon
. 1 Thai chili deseeded
. 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
. 2 teaspoons salt
. 1 tablespoon yogurt whey (not necessary but if you have it, use it, right?)

Method:

Combine the above vegetables in a jar. I ensured they stayed submerged in their juices by using two onion leaves. Leave the veggies, with the lid on the jar, on your counter for a few days to begin the fermenting process. Burp the jar at least 2 times a day by removing the lid for a few moments, which releases the fermenting gases. It took 3 days for my jar to display bubbles which indicated the ferment is well on its way. I tasted it and liked it, so I added some more cubed tomatoes, stirred it and put it in the refrigerator where it will continue to ferment, although much slower. It is good for at least 3 months.

Here is the recipe I used:

https://www.farmhouseonboone.com/lacto-fermented-salsa-recipe



The image below is the meal I made of chicken BBQ skewers and BBQ vegetables, I added the salsa as a side and it was amazing.


I hope you enjoy and experiment with all the variation you can think of for a wonderful salsa.

~ Cookin Mum

Comments

Popular Posts