Crunchy French Baguettes ~ Simple and Delicious



When I was in Culinary School I really loved the bread classes. I was so surprised by the french banquette recipe. I did not believe it would taste good. But I was mistaken.

Chef showed us how to make it and we enjoyed the results, as always. However, this one really stayed with me. I use it a lot now.

This picture is of the ones my teacher made:


This photo is of some garlic bread I made from scratch the other day with some mozzarella and garlic butter on top to take it to "amazing:"


What you will need:

- 1 lb (500g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp salt

Method:

Combine the flour, water, and yeast in your mixer. Equip the dough hook attachment and knead together for 7 minutes, then add salt and knead for an additional 7 minutes. Once the dough has come together, allow it to proof for 1 hour. I have found you may need more flour to get the dough to leave the side of the bowl, perhaps up to 750 grams.

Shape the risen dough into two to three thin baguettes. Let them rise for 30 minutes. Not too much longer or when you lance the dough it will deflate too much.

Set the oven to 460 degrees. Just before putting the baguettes in the oven, score them with a sharp knife. After setting the dough into the oven, decrease the temperature to 430 degrees and, using a spray bottle, spritz the oven and dough with water for the first 10 minutes of baking.

Cook the baguettes for 25 minutes.

Et voila! Yum!

Let me know if you have any questions.

~ Cookin Mum

Comments

Popular Posts