Waste Not, Want Not - Chicken Egg Drop Soup

If you follow my blog you know I advocate for as little food waste as possible. I also like cooking from scratch whenever possible. Here is my suggestion for chicken soup with leftovers.


I made this soup yesterday for dinner. I had the bones already defrosted in a one-quart container from a previous meal. I will be saying that many times in this post, "previous meal." Here are the bones:


Now all I had to do was get a celery stick, onion, and a carrot into a happy pot of water with the chicken bones. Add a few herbs like bay leaf, thyme, and parsley and let it simmer for a few hours. I then strain the broth and reintroduce fresh vegetables, leftover dried noodles we made last week, a single egg, and the result above speaks for itself.

Side note: Chef Gaskin once told a story about feeding a full crowd of 200 on the leftovers in his fridge. I did not believe him then but I do now. He once chided me for thinking I needed more milk or cream for my cauliflower soup saying "use more water, soup needs water." He is right, soup is water with food in it.

So here is how I made this soup.

Ingredients:

2 quarts water
1-quart chicken bones
1 onion chopped
2 carrot sliced - sliced thin, use a potato slicer
5-6 small bok choy
1 celery stick
1 potato sliced thin - I use a potato slicer
1 egg - beaten
1 bay leaf
3-4 sprigs fresh parsley
2-3 small sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 cup of large noodles, or more if you like

Method:

Cook the noodles separately if they are dried. Add them later so they don't absorb all the broth. I had made dried lasagna noodles previously and cracked them up into small pieces. That is the noodle I used in this soup.

Add one sliced carrot, one celery stick, and 3/4 of the sliced onion and place them in a pot of water with the bones. Add the herbs and bay leaf. Bring it to the boil then turn down the heat and let it simmer. I let it simmer for 2 hours. Then I drained it in a bowl through a strainer. Let the contents cool. I pick any extra little chicken I find on the bones off and add it to the soup. Be careful to avoid any tiny bones.

Pour back the broth and now add the remaining carrot, potato, remaining onion, bok choy and let them simmer until tender. Now add the cooked noodles. Just before serving, add the beaten egg and swirl it into the soup, it instantly cooks and adds more protein.

I hope you enjoy!

- Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts