Butternut Squash Casserole - Always a Delight!

Here is an image of my meal of butter chicken with a side of butternut squash. It is at the top of the photo:


I love this baked squash recipe. I have been making it for over 15 years and it is always a wonderful side dish. On Black Friday, I am happy to report that I managed to purchase a new crock-pot for $20. I knew making a whole squash was a good test for it so I made it with today's meal in mind. I love meal prep in advance. I did not get a shot of the squash right out of the oven so I am using this photo where it sits in the back.

Ingredients for Casserole:

1 small butternut squash peeled and cooked - about 2 cups
1/2 cup full-fat mayonnaise ( not low fat please )
1 eggs
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup crushed saltines  ( 8 crackers )
1 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon melted butter

Place peeled, cubed squash in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain well and place in a bowl: mash the squash.

Note: I made the squash the day before I needed it in a crockpot. I placed the whole squash in the pot--skin and all--and added a small amount of water. I let it cook for 6 hours on low. I also placed one whole cinnamon and one whole Anis in the water. Why? So the house would smell nice while the squash cooked. When it was cooked, I let it cool, scooped the flesh out, and stored it overnight in the refrigerator.

In another bowl, add the 1/2 cup mayonnaise and small diced onion, egg, sugar, salt and pepper and combine. Add this to the squash. Transfer to a greased 1-quart baking dish. Cobine the cracker crumbs, cheese, and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake uncovered at 350* for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and the top is golden.


I also love butter chicken. The above picture is my hubbie's plate. Hence the chips and bread.

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts