Mango-Avocado Salsa w/ Garlic Shrimp


I posted this lovely appetizer on my Instagram thread @cookin.mum and a friend from @sweetrunfarms requested the recipe. So let me introduce you to my version of this wonderful meal.

I had just finished my courses at Culinary College and decided to try out one catering job. I only needed to try this niche of the food industry once to know it was not for me but I loved the creativity it requires. This particular job was for appetizers as finger food for a group of 60, a wedding. I found a recipe for this shrimp at "dinner at the zoos" website. I have made many times since for my own family. Here is my adaptation:

The volume of shrimp you can use is up to you. In the picture below I used one shrimp per appetizer in an edible cup. The pictures here are all testers for a trial run and to see the plating options. The above photo is a three shrimp version, plated for more of a sit-down client. If you are making this as a meal I suggest at least one pound of shrimp.

I made the shrimp separately and added the salsa as a side. I actually served it in little cups with an avocado moose on the bottom and the salsa in the middle holding up the shrimp. This salsa becomes a finger food when you eat the shrimp holding the tailpiece and then pop the mango avocado in the cup into your mouth...amazing. Remember, even though it looks complicated is not and you deserve to eat like this too. Plate it nicely and you will feel good about your meal and enjoy it more.


Ingredients - Shrimp:

1 pound of large shrimp
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon thinly sliced garlic - now I love garlic so I'd probably grate 1-2 whole garlic in thin slices
1/4 cup cilantro chopped fine
Juice of one lime - about 2 tablespoons
Salt and pepper to taste

Ingredients - Salsa:

1 cup mango small cubes
1 cup avocado small cubes
juice of one lime
1/4 cup cilantro
2 tablespoons small diced red onion
Note: if you want more red add a few tiny cubes of sweet red pepper too.

Method:

Add the oil to a skillet and heat. Add the garlic and warm through. Take the shrimp and remove the shell, except for the tail. Split the back of the shrimp with a sharp knife to butterfly it. Once the garlic is fragrant, add the shrimp and fry until cooked through and curled--about three minutes. Now add the cilantro to the pan and toss.

In the meantime, combine the mango fixings and toss with the lime juice. You can now plate this as one meal by combining the salsa and the shrimp, or plating as I showed above where the mango salsa is on the side. If you decide to plate this food combined do so in a nice white bowl and drizzle a little extra cilantro over the top. It would also look really good in a seashell with one shrimp standing on top of the salsa, your sweetheart will be very impressed. Serve with a nice white wine and the evening will be all set.

I am making another version of this later this week and will add a few new photos.

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts