Blinis (Mini Pancakes) - A Perfect Finger Food



I adore Blinis. They make a wonderful surface for little snacks, or breakfast, or dessert. I made over a thousand of these one year for a catering assignment I had for a Bed & Breakfast in Peterborough called Stillwater on the Lake. The three photographs in this post are the results of a quick throw-together from the refrigerator that day. Imagine if I went shopping for dedicated blini toppings like smoked salmon or prosciutto with brie cheese. Savory or sweet, they work either way.


Blinis:

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (one 1/4-ounce envelope)
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of coarse salt
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 large eggs, separated

Instructions:

Sprinkle yeast over water. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir together flour and 1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt. Stir together buttermilk, butter, sugar, and egg yolks in a large bowl; whisk in yeast mixture, then flour mixture. Let stand, covered, in a warm place for 30 minutes. I placed the bowl in my oven with the light on.

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, and coat with a thin layer of butter. Add a scant tablespoon batter for each blini (about 6 or 7 per skillet) and cook, flipping after bubbles appear at edges and color turns golden. I used my large electric skillet to make these. I got better at shaping them as I practiced.


Blinis are a perfect solution for entertaining. The holiday season is approaching so it is a great time to make some and freeze them for the events approaching.


~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts