Homemade German Spaetzle - A Great Side Dish



This is my plate. I eat less than anyone else in the house, one small piece of meat is fine. Hubby, on the other hand, loves this spaetzle as long as I spice them up with some chili powder, onion, and paprika. I pan fry them in butter and the flavoring I want.


This is my husband's dinner it is just spicier and no salad, which he prefers separately plated. He always says he does not want too many but he always eats half his plate full. These little flour nuggets are excellent as a side dish with onions, bacon, and eggs in stews, tomato sauce dishes, and any pork dish.

The whole process looks like this on my stove. You can see the spaetzle maker in the middle.


Ingredients:

2 C flour
2 Eggs
Pinch salt
1/2-3/4 cup cold water

Optional: Any flavor powders you like. Onion powder, paprika, cumin or coriander.

Measure flour and sift then place into a bowl. Add the salt. Beat the two eggs in a separate bowl. Add the eggs to the water, start with 1/2 a cup. You will probably need one cup but add slowly and incorporate it into the flour. You can use a mixer for this. My batter is thick. I like it like that the thinner it is the more elongated in shape the spaetzle is.

I have made a short video so you can observe the spaetzle maker and the method of making them in a pot of hot water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkrIyAWBCV8

After they rise, they are cooked. They float. Then drain and cool. I cool them in cold water and drizzle with a little oil so they do not clump together. These flour dumplings freeze really well so make more than you need.

This is a recipe given to me by a Bavarian Lady named Marion. She came from the beautiful mountains of Bavaria where the sound of music was filmed. Salzburg can be seen from the mountain tops around her home.

This evening I served these with pork tenderloin in a mushroom gravy. Absolute heaven.

~ Hugs from Mum


Comments

Popular Posts