Chicken & Rice Casserole - The Magic of a can of Soup - Quarantine 2020

The days of self-quarantine are getting longer and longer. The constant meal preparations every day are getting more and more repetitive and boring. I am also trying desperately to stretch each meal and its components as far as possible so that this Winter we will have enough in the pantry to subsist on. I am blessed to even have this option and I know it. 

The first evening I made what you see in the image below. I had roasted chicken wings and shredded the meat, then I added a can of soup, 3/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons mustard, and 1 tablespoon honey. I made rice on the stove separately and had the chicken on top in a small bowl. It was good but not that good. 

So the next day, I had the rice and this mixture in the fridge. I had to switch it up or eat as is and frankly it was not that good. It was a recipe from Campbell's for Honey Walnut Dijon Chicken. 

Therefore I changed it. Suffice to say this version is a keeper and will be on our regular rotation. 

Campbell's Cream of Chicken Rice and Vegetable Casserole - with Cheese:

1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup

1 cup uncooked rice - should give you 2 cups cooked 

2 cups of frozen vegetables - defrosted

1 cup - 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice (I like cheddar)

1/4 cup whipping cream

Meat of choice - I used the meat from 4 large roasted chicken wings (any canned meat would work too)

Salty toppings - like potato chips or crackers


Method:

Here is a link to the Campbell's original recipe:

https://www.cookwithcampbells.ca/recipe/honey-walnut-dijon-chicken/

In a casserole dish, layer the components: first cooked rice, then the combined protein and soup and vegetables, then the cheese, and finally pour over the cream. Top with the chips/crackers. 

Bake for 30-40 minutes 350* till the top is brown and the cheese is melted. 

I hope you try the converted recipe. Anytime you have some leftovers--like when there is cold chicken, rice, and vegetables--just make this casserole. You'll love it. The magic of a can of soup. Oh, and cheese. Cheese is always magical. 

Stay safe, stay home, help where you can.

~ Cookin Mum ~

Comments

Popular Posts