Patra - Parsi Appetizer (Vegetarian Collard Green Spice Rolls)

Prochi's Patra Rolls

 

Patra - is an appetizer made from, in my case, Collard Green leaves in the style of cabbage rolls.

I love these delicious spicy, fried treats. Collard green leaves are prepared and rolled into a cabbage roll type of item. The leaves are placed three deep with a lovely spicy chickpea flour and spice paste in between the leaves. Next, they are steamed for 30 minutes and then left to cool. After they cool, the roll is sliced and fried till crispy and brown, dressed with lemon juice and devoured with gusto ( well at my house, anyway ).

Now my MIL gave this recipe to me. So let us call them Prochi Rolls. She gave very few measurements, as a mother in laws tends to do :) Therefore, let's try it my way:

2 cups chickpea flour
red chili powder - to your taste
turmeric powder - I used one teaspoon
Garam Masala - 1 teaspoon
Dhana Jeeru - 1/2 teaspoon each coriander and cumin powder
Tamarind Paste - I used 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
One bunch Collard Greens

Mix the dry ingredients and paste, add hot water to make a paste. Take the stems off the collards as you would to make cabbage rolls. Place dull side up one leaf one side and one other side ( top of the leaf away from the other ). Spread the paste not too thick, add another 2 layers with the paste between each. Now as in cabbage rolls, roll and place in the steamer. I used a little string to tie the rolls and keep from coming apart in the steamer.

I let it steam for 40 minutes, the recipe said 30. I then removed and cooled the rolls. There were 3 rolls from one bunch of collard leaves.


Slice when cool, and fry. Add lemon juice before eating.


I hope you enjoy this way of preparing collards. My family enjoys it.

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts