Panzanella - Tomato & Bread Salad


I made a new type of flavored bread yesterday. It is a dry herb bread, which is good for things like croutons, stuffing, breadcrumbs. I was hoping it would have a stronger flavor but it did not so I decided to just toast it and make croutons.


I watched Jamie Oliver make this tomato onion salad on one of his shows a while ago and thought it looked interesting. Let me tell you I was really surprised at how delicious it was. You definitely need a good, crunchy bread because of the salad dressing. The bread will turn soggy otherwise.


In my house, croutons are consumed like crunchy candy so I use up old bread in the oven, when I have any, by toasting it with olive oil and Italian herbs.

Ingredients I used :

1 C or more of croutons depending how big a salad you make
1-2 small tomatoes cubed or sliced
1/4 red or white onion sliced thin - red would be nicer but I use what I have
1-2 thin slices cucumber if you like them
2-3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

I cut all the vegetables first and added them to a bowl. I tossed them and let them sit so the tomato juice could join the party. Then salt and pepper. Mix the vinegar and oil in a separate small bowl and let sit till you combine it with the salad. Add the croutons and the salad dressing just before serving. Use your hands and toss. I tried tossing with tools, but this salad really needs a good toss with your fingers.

I was really happy I made this because I like when I can use up things and it tastes good. I may have made this before but I do not think so. I am very happy I did this time, it was wonderful. I would recommend it for a dinner on its own. It is filling and pretty. I'd be very happy to serve this in a more formal setting too, it is a visually beautiful salad.

Let me know if you like it!

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts