Grilled Flank Steak in Teriyaki Marinade


Today lets make a simple grilled steak. Steak has always been an Achilles' Heel of mine until my chef instructor showed us in culinary college. Now I just love making them. It's such a fast, delicious, and elegant "husband-y" meal. Why husband meal? Because he smiles whenever he hears I'm making it and he takes a deep breath when the smoke wafts into the kitchen from the patio as the Barbeque begins its screaming sear on the steak. He mumbles happily when he takes each bite. If you can't make a man moan when he bites into a steak meal then there is room for improvement.

In the past, I could not make a steak that was restaurant worthy ( which is what I aspire to in every meal I make )  and who can afford to be learning how to make something that is so expensive and ruin it in the process? Not me. It is like learning to drive in a Ferrari...NOT a good idea.

Memory time travel moment: I learned to drive at 16 years of age in a pink Cadillac my father bought from the junkyard, I think it had been a makeup salespersons car, it was like driving a couch. When I finally got my license I eventually mastered driving a manual transmission in a 1965 souped-up Mustang. To this day I still prefer driving a manual stick shift, the faster the car the better and it is to everyone benefit that I abstain from driving muscle cars at my age, after all, I have less to lose and farther I want to go and less time to get there. I loved drag racing when I was younger and I went to many race car events just to see Big Daddy Don Garlits Drag Race. I drove to Florida at 18 just to see him drive a funny car at Juno Beach Raceway. If you like to drive fast and you are old you will know who he is.

Ah, nostalgia. Well back to reality and the steak marinade. I was perusing the New York Times recipe section on grilling flank steaks and came across quite a few wonderful recipes. I adapted one slightly that I found by Jeff Gordinier.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pound flank steak
1 C vegetable oil
1/3  C brown sugar
1/3 C soy sauce
2 garlic cloves finely grates
1 tablespoon ginger finely grated
Pepper and salt to taste

Method:

Score the flank steak in a shallow cross pattern. Add all the marinade to a large vessel and stir it together. Add the steak and the marinade to a large ziplock bag and place it in the fridge. Let it sit for a few hours or overnight.

Turn the grill on high. The timing is 5 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes. Five minutes per side, do not move it once you put it on the grill until the 5 minutes are up, then the other side for 5 minutes. Then remove and foil tent it for 10 minutes. After the rest period, slice thinly against the grain. Now you can leave the steak for less time if you prefer.

I would serve a nice beer with this meal if you like beer. Memory time travel moment to Munich, Octoberfest....ahh the best beer and weisswurst and pretzels in the world.

Now I better get back to my day and decide what's for dinner in Mum's Kitchen.

~ Hugs from Mum


Comments

Popular Posts