Scalloped Sweet Potato, Onion and Parmesan - a Quick Solution for a no-fuss side dish


So why is something so simple to make so delicious? I don't know, it just is. All you need is a mandolin, a peeled sweet potato, peeled regular potato, an onion, and grated parmesan.


The photo above was taken before adding the cheese, onion, and herbs (Italian seasoning). The photo below is with those additions:



 Below you will see it after its vacation in the oven:


Finished and ready to cool and roll!

Take a pan and cover with parchment paper, as shown in the first image. Drizzle with a thin layer of parmesan, then slice the potatoes 1/8" using the mandolin and layer them on top of the cheese. Then add the onion on top and another thin layer of parmesan. I also sprinkled a thin layer of Italian herbs on top at the end.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350*. That's all she wrote. After it comes out, carefully roll it up like a log. The cheese makes it stick together like a sheet. You could easily add other wondrous things, your imagination is the only limit. I would add things after the potatoes are cooked, then roll the additions into the log and bake again for a few minutes to crisp it up. Like a nice spinach gratin, for example. I cooked Italian sausages separately and rolled them into the log and toasted it again.


I made an orange sabayon-style sauce and it went really well with the dish.


The next day I made it again. In case I was over excited, but the results were the same. This time I just rolled it up, cut a big flat piece and added it to a burger bun with lettuce. So yummy, I had it for dinner.


Here it is rolled and sliced, added to a nice roast chicken dinner. I cooked it alongside the chicken in the oven.

Let me know if you try it!

~ Hugs From Mum

Comments

Popular Posts