How to Start A Pantry - Quarantine 2021

I posted this in a Facebook group I am a member of, the discussion was about how to start stocking a small pantry:

Start small so you do not become overwhelmed. One or two cans of food "you eat regularly" is all you need to start. Look at the expiry date to be sure the investment will be worth it, otherwise, you will not be saving money, you will be throwing out expired food. 


I do not post a lot in our Eat Well Spend Almost Nothing group. I know the members' wealth of knowledge does not in many cases require my repeating things others have said. However, for those new to "how do I create a pantry," I will post when I feel it merits. If you already know then please ignore this post, if your new to the idea, read on.

In these times it is important I let you know how I apply "Stock Your Pantry, Small Steps" which is part of our group motto. When I can, I will show you what I do, when I do it. I have been doing this most of my life, especially in the last 25 years. Thanks to Farmor (Granny). Farmor survived 2 World Wars, the 1918 pandemic, as well as the Great Depression.

We are on lockdown again here in Ontario. January 2021. Likely curfews will be in place soon. We are allowed grocery shopping but only one person per household can enter the market, and there are long lines to go in. My family does curbside pickup. The stores are doing an excellent job providing the population with what basics we all need and should be commended for their efforts. Their delivery staff are exemplary and make this time of Covid more bearable.

This week I ordered an extra 4 cans of beans. These cans cost 0.89 cents per can. It was not on sale. The good-by date is 2023. I also bought 2 cans of tomato soups, good-by the date 2022. I buy 2 cans of soup every week whether I need them or not.

If I did that every week for a year I'd have 208 cans of beans, and 104 cans of soup. Not on sale, mind you. This week that cost about $7.00. Less than many people pay for coffee in a day. I once worked out for myself that I was spending $1200.00 a year for Tim Horton's coffee. I was working then, but still, that's pretty nuts.

That is how you start a pantry, if you have no space, put the cans under the bed frame, or in the closet. Buy one extra of "what you eat" every week that can be stored for a long time. Examples are pasta, rice, flour, beans, canned vegetables of any kind as well as canned protein. At least one thing a week. It would be impossible financially for most to do it all at once, so take a steady small step as part of your routine shopping.

I learned a long long time ago that the grocery store was not my pantry, it was not my right, it was a privilege. I am blessed to be able to purchase (afford) food. It was not always that way. I decided it was far better to make a small grocery store in my home just in case things went badly, so I (we) could sustain ourselves.

I hope you are all well and happy and safe.

~Cookin Mum~

Comments

Popular Posts