REKO Is a Facebook Based Preordering System For Local Produce - Find one And Join

April 18, 2020 - Quarantine Life Observations & Recommendations


I joined a CSA last year, and I have also joined this year. The price can deter some but it comes out to about $40.00 a week for fresh produce. I will gladly spend that and have a close-by farmer benefit from the support.

I can't grow a garden as easily as when I was young and I do not have the best soil at my home suburban garden. I joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) for a local farm. They deliver to my porch once a week for 20 weeks starting in mid-June. The picture above was the first delivery. I was shocked and delighted. Willowtree Farms is wonderful to work with and have upped their game to help the community survive this year's crisis.


So many beautiful fresh foods. I enjoyed all the things they brought. The thing is, they bring what they grow. You really can't alter the order much and you do not know what it will be until a day or two before delivery.

You can ask for an amendment to the delivery but it is not a grocery order. You receive what has been grown, you can ask for additional amounts of the products you know they have, but I did not do that until later in the season. I needed to see a full year rotation to understand what I would be able to preserve for Winter.

There were many things I would not normally eat but tried and loved. There were also things we did not care for much, like brussells sprouts. Come the Fall, we received amazing squash, apples, and potatoes.


As the Summer goes along, excellent goodies arrive.


By September, the squash and apples came.

This year I have joined REKO, a Facebook-based pre-ordering system for local producers. Below I have linked a video. It explains the concept which was first tried in Finland in the early 2000s. I am still getting my CSA this year but I am also intending to go to the farmers meet area locally once a week and buy specific things directly from them. I will be told what they have in a specific week on my Facebook contact group and then I can order and arrange payment and pickup with them directly. It gives them the value they deserve for their work, it cuts costs for them, there is less time spent traipsing back and forth the farmer's markets and we the consumer can help the farmer. It cuts the middle man out. It also repairs the supply chain breakdown we are seeing now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe6rHuJhimc&t=26s

I am very very interested in this way of helping farmers, and my family. I can order what they provide in the amount I want once a week. I cannot think of a better time to support local growers. It gives small farms a chance to make decent money. It helps our family eat better. It's a win-win. I am only hoping our government will allow us to access milk products from our dairy farmers soon as well. This is the way of the future, my friends.

Stay home, stay safe, help when you can.

~ Cooking Mum

Comments

Popular Posts