Delicious Beef Tenderloin w/ Dehydrated Mushrooms & Caramelized Onions



I found a small beef tenderloin in the freezer. When I say small, I mean maybe 1 1/2 pounds worth. You need some serious side dishes and a lot of mushrooms and onions with this portion size to feed three people.


I had fridge issues suddenly and I had to cook the meat right away, not letting it sit in the fridge, so I grabbed my Le Creuset casserole dish and made the meal you see. It was fast, it was effective, and it was holy-mackerel-good.


I trimmed the sinew and fat and began by adding olive oil to an already hot pan. I salted and peppered the tenderloin and proceeded to sear it in the oil. I left it till it naturally separated from the surface. In other words, once placed on the pan leave it alone until it lets go. I slowly, patiently, seared the two pieces on all sides. When I was almost done I added two large sliced onions to the hot pan, with the meat still in it, and began caramelizing the onions alongside the beef. The onions will absorb the fond and lend a little juice to the pan. I then added two cups of dehydrated mushrooms to the pan. I make them myself. You can use fresh if you have them.


I then added one cup of beef broth, covered the pot, and put it in the oven at 350* for 40 minutes. I cannot cook meat rare in my house, no one will eat it ( except me ), so it has to be well done and soft which are two components that are nearly impossible to achieve. Well done usually means tough as shoe leather.

Suffice to say, much to my surprise, well done and soft was how it turned out. I am amazed. I was in such a hurry but managed to figure out an amazing way to roast tenderloin. This recipe will be rigorously tested in future. I cannot afford to ruin such a priceless piece of protein, so I seldom purchase it. Now that will change.

Ingredients:

1 small beef tenderloin - 2 pounds
2 cups mushrooms - dehydrated work wonderfully
2 large white onions sliced thin
1 cup beef broth
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tablespoons olive oil for frying

Method: Discussed above.

~ Hugs From Mum

Comments

Popular Posts