Making Dried Chickpeas into Fabulous Hummus - Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker recipe


I adore chickpeas. I love hummus. I love my pressure cookers. The three things combine to make the heaven that is "chickpea dinners." I use them a lot, I guess I am a bean-head.

If you can find dried chickpeas, and if you can be sure they are less than a year old (two years max), grab a bag--actually a BIG bag--and run home with them. The picture above is of soaking chickpeas. I soak them for 24 hours. I pick through the dried beans and dispose of the broken and discolored ones. Then into a bath they go once I clean and rinse them. They will double in size. Two cups of dried chickpeas exploded into about 5 cups of ready-to-cook beans.


Strain the soaking-water from the beans and add the chickpeas to the Instant Pot. I added a 1/2 white peeled onion, several cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon oil, a smattering of cumin seeds, and lastly a couple of bay leaves. I add 2x the water that I have soaked beans. One cup of beans needs 2 cups of water, for example.

Once in the cooker, I set the timer for 25 minutes at full pressure. I use a natural release. The heaven that is cooked chickpeas will greet you when the pressure plunger drops. Keep the water for later for rice if you are making it anytime soon after.

Ingredients (as I made this, half the recipe if you use fewer beans):

2 cups dried chickpeas
Twice the water amount to chickpeas - measure them after soaking, then double the amount of liquid to the number of chickpeas
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oil
1/2 a white onion
2 garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1-2 bay leaves

Method:

The method is written above.

I made hummus with some of the beans. You can also put some in a salad. Make a nice tomato sauce and add the beans over rice. Lovely dinner.

 

Today I made a hummus, avocado, romaine wraps as well as a hummus avocado pumpernickel sandwich. Yum!


~ Hugs From Mum

Comments

Popular Posts