Fresh Pasta and Why You Should Make It



I was out shopping today when I saw an item on sale and almost bought a second one.  I had to discuss this find with you, friends. It was a manual pasta roller. I have one from decades ago and love it. I had no idea they were now available for such a reasonable price. I paid in the hundred's of dollars for mine. Here it is: $39.00 Canadian dollars.



I was so excited. This means it is affordable to acquire and possible for a lot more people to make fresh pasta. Why make fresh pasta? Because it is easy and it is economical and far healthier for you and your family. By the way, it also tastes better. If you can get eggs and flour on sale it is also much cheaper. I purchased 20KG a few weeks ago for $4.95, and a flat of eggs for $5.00.

I have several machines now. I am older and wiser and I have been married long enough to accumulate better equipment. I have a Kitchen Aid with pasta rollers and a new baby, my Phillips Pasta Maker. I have my preferences depending on the shapes of the pasta I am making. I love my Kitchen Aid.

I learned how to make pasta in culinary college and Chef Kevin used a kitchen aid to cut the pasta. Chef made the pasta by hand and it was a dream to behold. I  can not begin to extol what a drool fest we had eating it all in class.

I also make the pasta in my food processor. I will include the recipe below. It is from thekitchn.com. It works for me every time. I can make it in a well on the counter, but why make such a mess and have to clean it up.

Here is the recipe:

How to Make Pasta in the Food Processor

Makes about 1 pound pasta dough; enough pasta for 4-6 servings.


What You Need:


Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs

Equipment
Measuring cups and spoons
Food processor

Instructions:


  1. Combine the flour and salt. Combine the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. Pulse a few times to combine.
  2. Add the eggs. Crack the eggs on top of the flour.
  3. Process for 30-60 seconds. Put the lid on the food processor and process for 30-60 seconds until the dough comes together into a rough ball.
  4. If dry, add water. If the dough doesn't come together after a minute and looks like small pebbles or cous cous, add a teaspoon of water and process again. Repeat until the dough comes together.
  5. If sticky, add flour. If the dough is sticky and smears against the sides of the bowl, add a tablespoon of flour and process again. Repeat until the dough comes together.
  6. Knead the dough into a smooth ball. Remove the dough from the food processor. Knead against the counter a few times until it comes together into a smooth ball.
  7. Rest the dough for 30 minutes. Dust the dough with a little flour and place it in a small mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.


This was my pasta on my first attempt at home:



This is Chefs linguini and clam sauce:


Chef's Ravioli and tomato sauce:

Chef's Ravioli and cream sauce:

I am so glad I learned how to make this. You must try it too.


Comments

Popular Posts