How a Clay Mexican Bean Pot Changed My Cooking



Why clay? It is better, it is good for food, and it is better for humans to eat the food prepared in it. As long as the clay used is safe and it is the right clay, it will be toxin-free. But, try and find clay pots that are certified safe, unglazed, and not from suspicious origins. Good luck.

I read a lot. I am retired, I have the time. I am suspicious of claims made by, well, everyone. It is, after all, about the money. One day I came across beans touted by one of my trusted web sites, "The Kitchn," and ordered some from the recommended supplier, Rancho Gordo. Luckily for me, they did ship to Canada although not all types of beans.




It was on this website that I first came across this Mexican bean pot. Guaranteed lead-free. However, first I ordered a selection of beans to try. 

I was so happy when the little miracle beans arrived and I was completely taken aback by the freshness and creaminess of the beans once I cooked my first batch. I have made a lot of recipes using canned beans, yet dried beans always vexed me. Now I know why. They were not fresh or they were more than two years old. Also, they were never heirloom varieties.




I had to know, was it even better in a clay bean pot? Yes, it is. A dear friend in Florida read my lament over not being able to find such a pot in Canada, and she sent this to me. Her name is Karen Brandau Smith, how I adore her for making this effort on my behalf. I am deeply thankful. There she was in the night, the hurricane winds and rain from Dorien blowing, marching outside to see if the pot had been delivered. How amazing is she? I can just imagine her with a flashlight in hand walking out to her fence gate during all the chaos. So amazing.




Since then I have come to understand the value of clay cookware. It is expensive, it hard to find, but since my health and that of my beloved family is at stake, I will continue to investigate and see what other local manufacturers (in North America) might have what I am now obsessively looking for.

I think I have found it with this company, https://miriamsearthencookware.com.

But I cannot recommend it until I use it, the cost is wildly out of my budget, especially with the minimums required for them to ship internationally. So I will wait and save my coins for the future. I will report back to you then on what I think. I do want you to benefit from my research so for that reason, I have shared MEC's website.

~ Mum

Comments

  1. Wow, the clay cookware is expensive! But your beans look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they are so tasty. The clay pots are expensive, unfortunately. But that is what saving money is all about, so you can buy things later that are important to you. Funny how ancient knowledge is the answer to so many questions.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts