Easy-Peasy Beef Roast


A beef roast regardless of the cut can be very intimidating. The cost makes it scary because you don't want to screw it up. Regardless of the cut of beef from cheapest to the most expensive, if I make a beef roast I make it using the same method every time.

I purchase a half side of beef every year from a local farmer. This tenderloin roast is the last of 2018's purchase. I cut the roast into two sections, roughly a quarter I kept aside for a nice stew. Therefore I will manage to have at least 3 meals from this particular piece of beef.

I use Knors Onion soup mix for the dry rub marinade, I remove the onion pieces (sieve it) so only the spices remain. One packet for one roast.

I use 2-3 cloves of garlic peeled and cut into insertable slivers. Which I insert into the entire roast with a sharp paring knife.


Then I rub the roast with the onion soup spices and let it rest until I am ready to cook it. I do this early in the day because I will roast the beef starting at about 2pm so it is finished at 6pm.

I use two whole onions cut into large sections and distributed around the edge of the roast. These will melt nicely into the gravy in the end because I will use a hand blender to emulsify the sauce.


Here you can see the roast all ready for the oven. I will put this back in the refrigerator to rest until I am ready to cook it.


This photo is of the final product, it is well done yet soft and delicious. I will pour over the onion gravy right after I have cut the roast to keep it moist. 

I roast vegetables at the same time as the roast, it is for the ease of it. I put them in an hour before the roast is finished. So easy to do.

When I start the oven at 350*, I put the roast in for one hour to set, then I add some water and seal in a foil tent for the remainder of the roasting.

Remove the roast and test for done-ness (165* minimum) and place it on a dish to rest. Take the onion mixture in a bowl and use an emersion blender to make a gravy. Pour a portion over the roast to keep it moist after you have portioned the roast out.

If you have any questions let me know.

~Mum

Comments

Popular Posts