Slow Cooked BBQ Pork Ribs & Beans

Sometimes a throw-together meal can be a complete surprise, this was such a wondrous one.


It was an absolute heavenly fall apart, sweet barbeque pork rib dinner covered in my homemade barbeque mixture over a bed of frozen fajita mix vegetables and a can of black turtle beans.

I also had to clear the refrigerator because it was market day, so I roasted off a head of cauliflower and one sweet potato.


I have loved and made hotdog infused pork and beans from a can in my youth, but in the last 25 years or so I abstained from the canned version and hotdogs suddenly became villainized. This meal reminds me of those bowls filled with ketchup covered steaming beans and plump pieces of hotdog in every bite. 

I buy frozen fajita mix vegetables from the store because in winter it is impossible to find good fresh peppers. The mix in all fajita style vegetables is ideal for recipes over the cold months. For example, Chicken Fajitas, Chicken Cacciatori, and now this meal. The mix has two types of peppers and onions. 


Ingredients:

1/2 rack of ribs - not more than fits in a single layer in your slow cooker
1 can black beans - liquid included
1-2 cups fajita style vegetables ( peppers and onions )
3 garlic cloves

Sause Mixture:

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 cup sherry or red wine
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:

Place the garlic cloves and the frozen vegetable mix in the bottom of the slow-cooker. It must cover the whole area, I added half a packet of the frozen mixture. On top of that add the canned beans including the liquid. 

Now make a sauce mixture in a bowl and stir till combined. Place the ribs on top of the mixture of vegetables and beans in the slow-cooker. Add the sauce on top of it all. Let cook till done. 4-6 hours on high, depending on your device, 8 hours on low. 

I have to confess I was not hungry when dinner rolled around because I had snacked myself into a full stomach on guacamole and chips, therefore I had to leave this meal until later and eventually, I put the bulk into the fridge, less the bones. I did taste it and I cursed myself for eating earlier. 

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts