Victorio Stainless Steel Steam/Waterbath Canner - 3 Functions Instead Of One

When we were told we should stay home and stay safe while the world was ravaged by a pandemic, some things became more clear. My pantry needed more canned foods and I needed a water bath canner that did not rust. Replacing an old enamel canning pot, though cheap, by comparison, became unwise and nearly impossible to find. I decided to look for a permanent solution. In stepped this stainless steel water bath pot.


It was not until it arrived that it became clear that this pot also doubled as a steam canner for high acid food, the same foods you can water bath in a regular canner. I did my due diligence and found out that NCFHP now has approved certain water bath canners and luckily that meant this one.



The third use for this pot was obviously that is was a fabulous large stockpot. If you make large portions of stovetop foods this one is a keeper.


I have done the water test for the canner and it passed with flying colors. It has a handy dandy meter on the lid which tells you when you reach temperature and can start the timer for the boil times. This gauge also tells you when it is time to start the timer when steam canning.


I made a batch of Apricot-Peach jam in the steam cycle yesterday. It needed far less water and the time it took to bring the pot to the correct temperature was negligible in comparison to heating a full pot of water to can foods. I am more prone to proven methods so I will likely stay with regular water bath canning but just in case, I like that I can also steam can.

I also found the jars were far less cloudy and the pot was so easy to clean. I did give it a vinegar rinse after the pot cooled because I could see water residue marks in the bottom and it worked like a charm. In a regular water bath, a tablespoon of vinegar solves that problem easily also.

Here is the link to the canner: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0075O2Z34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

~Cookin Mum


Comments

Popular Posts