Caviar Lentils Make A Luxurious meatless meal


I am continuing on my journey to eat more meatless meals. That is how this recipe happened. I adapted it from a suggestion in my vegetarian flavor bible book. It turned out I fell in love with the slightly spicy, creamy luxury of it. So simple, so delicious.


This is a photo of the beans and lentils I ordered in October from Rancho Gordo in California. I love their heirloom products and regardless of the cost, I find them superior in flavor, texture, and freshness. I decided to try the black lentils this time, having no idea how three months later they would rock my world. They cook very fast, 30 minutes. They keep their shape and love to be added to meals alone or as a main dish.


Look at that creamy buttery dish! I hope you like it and try it. Let me know.

Ingredients - Yield for 2-3 people:

1/2 cup black lentils
1 garlic clove peeled
Small pieces of white onion to flavor the water (can be big pieces, though, and later removed)
1 bay leaf, to be removed once lentils are cooked
Water, enough to cover the lentils by 1 inch

1 heaping tablespoon garlic-ginger paste
1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
3 - 4 tablespoons crispy fried onions
1 teaspoon curry powder
Salt to taste, added at the end of the cooking
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 cup of cream
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup fresh small cubed onion
1/4 finely chopped fresh cilantro

Method:

Take out the lentils and carefully check for stones or broken lentils and discard them. Rinse them thoroughly. If your lentils are old, soak them overnight. Ranch Gordo lentils can be cooked without soaking. Most of their beans can.

Place the lentils in a pot with the onion and bay leaf and cover with one inch of water. Bring to boil. Then turn to a low simmer for 30 minutes. Monitor as the water will decrease. If you add water it is best to make it boiling water, I keep a kettle of it ready.

Once the lentils are plump and soft and the water is almost gone again, begin the process of adding all the additional flavors. I began adding garlic-ginger and tomato paste, then the curry powder and chili powder. Let it come together. Now add the butter and cream. At the last minute, add salt, fresh onion, and cilantro to boost the flavors. Cook on a low flame until oil forms on the surface of the lentils.

Serve by itself, with naan, or over rice. Pour some cream over and add some mango chutney. Heaven on a plate. The Bucara restaurant in Delhi makes 60 pounds of these lentils a day.



Enjoy!

~Mum


Comments

Popular Posts