The Work and Magic of fresh summer tomatoes


It always starts this way. A trip to the market. Even if I promise myself I will refrain.

Then I see them. They cost $7.98 for a half bushel. The price alone is irresistible, the beautiful red orbs are irresistible. I actually can't because I am tired, this year has been very hard, so I actually can't.

Well, here they are. I love them. I am the only person in my house that really eats them. My family is not fond of Mediterranean food. I love everything Italian and Spanish and French. Not to mention Latin American.


So I started. The smell of the roasted tomatoes and garlic was like a burst of oxygen to a breathless person.

I decided to freeze everything. I decided to freeze it in pint-size increments sans the skins. This way I could defrost just enough to cook down just for me. I could toss them into all manner of meals for your's truly.


Then my eyes floated to my farm fresh produce on the counter and realized it may be even better if I made some pint-size sauces with the product I had from my CSA. There was a big white onion, a big green pepper, and a big green zucchini.


The end result was a cacciatore sauce, a paprika and onion sauce, as well as a beautiful tomato zucchini soup.


The soup vanished as soon as I finished it in the blender with milk. Oh well, I will have to start over with that one. My family loves soup even in the summer.

Surprisingly, I am not exhausted. I am hoping I have finally recovered enough to assume my regular life if life could ever be regular, without the most recent chaos.

Wishing you all a pleasant, bountiful Summer season.

~Cookin Mum

Comments

Popular Posts