Instant Pot Mini Recipe ~ Beans - How much easier could it be?


I love beans. They are healthy and they are economical. The Instant Pot makes it a breeze to cook and use beans on a weekly basis. I made this meal with cauliflower rice just to make it more "weight scale" friendly.

Pressure cooked from dry they save time and money.

I adapted this recipe from a few methods I read online and came up with this version, using vegetables I had on hand and very few spices.

Ingredients (ideal for a 3 quart IP ~ 2-4 people):

1 cup dried red kidney beans - rinsed and broken beans discarded
2 cups broth of choice
1 stick of celery chopped
1 white onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
2 cups fresh spinach
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
1-2 fresh tomatoes chopped
Dash hot sauce
Drizzle cajun spice
Salt to taste

Method:

Inspect and remove all beans that are broken or discolored. Rinse well and place in a bowl. Chop the onion, celery, and pepper. Rince the spinach. Chop the cilantro and tomato, keep separate as you will add it later after the beans are pressure-cooked.

Add the oil to the IP and put the pot on saute. Place the mirepoix and the spinach in the pot and sweat. When translucent, add the beans and broth. Drizzle with a splash hot sauce and cajun spice. Turn the saute function off.

Place the lid on the IP, seal and cook on pressure for 40 minutes. Use a natural release when it is finished.

After the pressure has released, remove the lid and press the saute function. Now add the cilantro and tomato. Saute until incorporated. Mash the beans to your preference.


I cook for one person many a night. This meal works perfectly for that. Next, I will make chickpeas for one in the mini 3 quart Instant Pot.

If you soak the beans overnight, this recipe can be cooked in 30 minutes. I did try 20 minutes but I like my beans on the soft mushy side, so 30 minutes at least for me.

I hope you like this recipe.

~Hugs From Mum

Comments

Popular Posts