Crock Pot Prime Rib and Beef Gravy - Gratin of Delicious & Healthy Greens


I was freezer diving again on Saturday and came across a prime rib that I pulled out for Monday dinner. I decided to let it slow cook for the day and "abracadabra" it into dinner the next day. I cooked it and let it cool along with the gravy and kept them in the fridge after cooling. I cooked the roast in a cup of coffee, by the way, along with a few bay leaves. It worked out pretty delicious.

On the alchemy day where I turned the leftover cold roast and gelled gravy into dinner, I wanted to have a large vegetable side dish for myself, so I dug out my frozen super greens ( kale-spinach-collards ) some corn, and some frozen okra. I defrosted it and drained the water. I then made a wondrous white sauce, adding parmesan for some kick, with shallots and garlic and it became the casserole "juice."  On top, I added a few rounds of fresh mozzarella and then added a few sliced tomatoes. The casserole ended up being my favorite part! It was amazing.

I have always professed that adding a delicious sauce makes the dish. Well, so does adding cheese. I can make almost anything taste good if I can add a naughty butter sauce or melt some sexy cheese over the top. Think about it and I know you will agree. I see a lot of videos that are just that, no skill required just add cheese and warm it up.

Kale-Spinach-Collards Gratin - now remember the vegetable amounts can easily be altered to your taste. The frozen vegetables can just as easily be fresh vegetables.

1-2 cups frozen Greens defrosted
1 cup defrosted Okra
1/2 cup corn

4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1-2 shallots
1-2 cloves garlic to taste

1-2 cups broth ( chicken ) or milk or live dangerously cream

1 cup Parmesan
5 rounds of fresh mozzarella or grate some over the top
3-4 thin slices of tomato
Salt and pepper to taste

Make the bechamel sauce. Add the butter and melt, then add the shallots and garlic and heat through. Add the flour and cook for a few minutes, add the liquid and let everything thicken. Taste test. Add the parmigiana at the end and let melt into the sauce. Add the vegetables to a casserole and pour over the cheese sauce. Add the slices of mozzarella and the tomato slices and bake at 350 till you see bubbles on the side. Make sure the top is browned.

As I type this I am eating the vegetable casserole leftovers with the leftover gravy from dinner. Yummmm.

Enjoy!

~ Hugs from Mum

#spinichgratin #bechamelsauce #primerib #slowcooker

Comments

Popular Posts