Zuppa di orzo - Chicken Barley soup - Instant Pot Friendly


It is flu season. This will give you the nourishment you need to weather the onslaught. Please be sure to be familiar with electric pressure cookers before attempting this recipe in a pressure cooker. In a normal stovetop pot, the process is the same the cooking time would be about 45-50 minutes.

I made this in my 8 Quart Electric Pressure cooker. I plan on using it far more in the future. I have been using it for two weeks straight just to keep up with the demand for chicken soup.


This is the barley chicken soup I made from frozen roast chicken bones I stored. Yesterday I roasted a chicken again and we had chicken and mashed potatoes for supper, today I made more chicken barley soup. It ended up as 3 quarts. It is a very good soup so I decided to write the recipe for you.

I use a soup sock to keep the carcass in without having to fish for it later. As it cooks it prevents the little bones from escaping and making the meal into a search for tiny bones. You can see the sock in the bowl in the image above with all the bones still inside. Youcan find them in packets of three easily on Amazon.

Ingredients: Yield approx. 3 quarts

10 cups water
2 carrots small cubes. - I use the food processor
2 celery - food processor
1 whole large onion - food processor
2 bay leaves
1  Knorr chicken bouillon cube
1 packet Lipton soup mix - the flavoring only, take out the noodles
1 small bunch fresh parsley - food processor
1/2 cup barley rinsed
1 leftover carcass of chicken bones, or 8-10 chicken thighs ( skin removed )

Method:

Combine the onion, celery, carrots, and parsley. Process the vegetables into a nice small dice. Turn on the warm feature of the cooker, and sweat the vegetables for a few minutes. Place the bones into the soup stock and tie it off. Add to the pot with the bay leaf and spice cubes and packet. Add the 10 cups of water. Do not let the level exceed the max marked level of your cooker (in mine, it is 2/3 that is the limit). Let the mixture come to a slow boil, then seal the cooker.

Pressure cook for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes, let the pot have a 15-minute rest then carefully release the pressure. Strain and place in containers.

I found a recipe after the fact that was quite close to this one but it used beef broth and there was more barley. It looks good so I'm including it in the link below:

http://memoriediangelina.com/2018/02/03/zuppa-di-orzo/#.WnW47KinHIV

I hope you all miss the flu and will not need any of my soup for that particular reason.

~ Hugs From Mum

Comments

Popular Posts