A New Tool In The Kitchen - Instant Pot



I finally decided to give the Instapot a try again. I had one delivered 3 years ago and it was defective so I sent it back. I then purchased a Wolfgang Puck eight-quart instead. I am happy with it but it is not multi-functional. It has a dial for a time to pressure cook that is hard to read, and high pressure only. I only use it for soups and some lentil meals.

I recently came across an Indian cookbook by Urvashi Pitre and ordered it regardless of the fact it was Instant pot specific. I made a meal using one of her more generic recipes and was instantly hooked. Based on that recipe alone I finally ordered an Instant Pot again. The wrong model was delivered, so back it went. I was really starting to wonder if I should even keep trying. Then the model I wanted was not available. So that brings us to today when I can tell you I finally have it in my kitchen. Let us hope the third time is the charm.

I began this post on a Saturday and decided to return to it when and if my new little pot proved itself to me.

It is now Tuesday and I am hooked. This little minion of a cooker is a marvel and if you get one that works it's an amazing kitchen tool.

As you know I make two types of food for every meal I make because I cannot consume what my family does due to digestive and health issues. I cook a lot of Indian style foods for them, delicious spicy food and a more calm European style foods for me. It did not take long to realize I can make most of my family's favorite meals in the instant pot in no time flat, and spend more of my time on more culinary creative meals for myself. As a graduate of chef school, I need the creative space to test thing and I have felt so boxed in because of the amount of energy--not to mention the time--needed for my family's meals. Not anymore. The Instant Pot has freed me to be creative and efficient.



I made yogurt in the pot and was aghast at the quality and ease with which it magically could be done. No endless pots and stove boiling and cooling and oven fermenting. One pot and you're done. I am one happy camper because I love yogurt and so does my family. Honestly, I think I will buy another pot just to make yogurt. Perhaps a 3-quart mini.



I have also made Chana Masala from dried chickpeas, and again I am in disbelief. I love lentils and beans and this little sweet machine makes it seems like there is nothing to it except dump and press go. It allows me to saute and incorporate spice flavors and roux components all in one little pot, like a mini-stove top.

Apon reflection, I have to say that even if it only lasted one year it would be worth every dime, and I'd run straight out and buy another one because I will never be without this little workhorse in my kitchen again.

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts