Fall-Apart Ribs: The Simplest Thing Ever - "May's Ribs"


I was freezer diving and found ribs. My dearest daughter said she'd like to have some. I thought it was a good idea to teach her my method, simple as it was, for fool-proof fall-off-the-bone ribs.

My dear friend named them "May's Ribs" and she has been making them ever since she came to my house and I made them for her, so 40 years or so ago.

This is a half a rack. It works the same no matter the size of the rack, or how many you put in the oven.

You will need thick foil. There is a foil available like that and if you don't have it double the foil layer.

Ingredients:

Salt
Pepper
1 rack of ribs
BBQ sauce of your preference
Honey

Method:

1. Clean the rib from debris. Rince it. Then remove the silver skin on the inner side of the rack. It does not taste good and it makes the ribs curl.

2. Get a baking tray and place foil on the tray. Then place the ribs on the foil. Careful not to puncture the bottom of the foil.

3. Place the ribs presentation side up, the rounded bone portion. Then add salt and pepper. Fold the foil around the ribs and make a package. It should be tight enough to roast, steam the ribs, and not leak juice.

4. Place in the oven at 350* and walk away for a few hours. This is one of the reasons I love this method. It is something you put in the oven and go about your business till dinner. I usually cook it for 2-3 hours.

5. When time's up, undo the foil package carefully to make a case for the ribs, you will be cooking them again with a preferred sauce. That is why you want them presentation side up in the package.

6. Now add some BBQ sauce on top with a brush, then some honey. Put the package back in for 20 minutes and voila, beautiful soft BBQ ribs.

The ribs can stay longer in the oven on the first run, they are happy steaming-roasting all by themselves. If the foil gets punctured, however, you will burn them and that is a no-no. So fold the foil carefully.


As you can see, this became a single ribs-only lunch for my baby. She loved them. I wanted her to know how to make them, she could easily impress anyone in the future with this meal and not stress out making it.

If you make these ribs, make sure to throw some flour on yourself and look exhausted, then tell everyone it was the hardest meal to make ever. It is the same as my method for roast beef. I have served that to visitors from all over the world and they still mention that meal to this day. That is also the most simple meal in the world.

If you have any questions please send me a note. I will answer. I always answer.

~ Mum

Comments

Popular Posts